Continuing a Tradition of Service for Over Ninety Five Years!

Disposal of Mercury

Posted on: December 1, 2011

Mercury is a potential neurotoxin capable of impairing childhood development when pregnant women or children are exposed to the metallic element. Without proper management, mercury may be released into the environment at the end of a thermostat’s useful life during waste handling or disposal. Waste compaction in a garbage truck, at a transfer station, or at a landfill could easily cause breakage of the glass tube in the switch, allowing the mercury to be released into the air. Some states have enacted a thermostat purchase program in order to ensure proper disposal. Unfortunately, Florida has not done this yet. If you have a thermostat replaced, please make sure it is disposed of properly.