Why Is My Heat Pump Freezing?
When temperatures drop, you want to ensure your heat pump is working up to par to keep you and your home as warm and comfortable as possible throughout the colder season. At some point, however, different factors may cause your heat pump to freeze, ultimately rendering it useless. To determine if your heat pump is actually frozen, and to avoid any worsening issues with your system, your best bet is to watch out for certain signs and reach out to a professional for maintenance should it be needed.
Common Causes of Heat Pump Freezing
Harsh winter weather and lower temperatures bring a greater risk of your heat pump freezing. Be sure to keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Low refrigerant levels: Low refrigerant is typically a result of things such as leaking. When your system is lacking refrigerant, its coils aren’t able to properly absorb heat, and this can cause said coils to freeze over. Low refrigerant levels can also disrupt the performance of other parts of the heat pump, such as the compressor.
- Damaged or worn-out fan motors: Your pump may be frozen over if its fan motor is not working properly. A main cause of this is blockage from leaves, grass, and other debris that need to be cleared out. The fan may also be stuck in one place, or it could be that it is outdated and in need of a replacement.
- Insufficient airflow: If the filter on your heat pump is clogged, it can impede the airflow through the system. When this happens, ice can build up on the coils, which, in turn, freezes up the pump.
- The entire unit is frozen over: While it’s normal for a layer of ice or snow to build up in frigid temperatures, you can tell something is wrong if your system isn’t working to defrost itself. If the heating element has been frozen over for a long period of time, it’s likely that the defrosting cycle is malfunctioning and should be checked out by a professional.
Reach Out to Jacob Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Heat Pump Needs
Serving the community since 1921, we at Jacob Heating & Air Conditioning are dedicated to providing our clients with prompt, reliable service and satisfactory results, no matter their needs. We take pride in our commitment to exceptional workmanship and attention to detail. We understand that your heating system can be impacted by the elements at any given time, and we want you to feel confident in our ability to have it up and running as soon as possible, leaving you with nothing but a dependable machine and a toasty haven to protect you from the cold.
Wow! What an honest and fair price company. They did what they said, showed up when they said and never treated me like I was just a job! I deal with many contractors and this by far was the best experience! I strongly recommend this company!Tonia G.
We just had a new air conditioning system installed in our condo. JD and Pablo were real professionals, and worked quickly and efficiently. The installed unit looks clean and neat. Great job!Philip R.
The service provided by jacobs heating and air conditioning was great. They have been in business for along time and I can see why. They arrived for the service exactly on time. The service cost estimate was right on target. The technicians John, j.o., and Pablo were very efficient and explained what they did in a very easy to understand dialog. We are definitely going to use jacobs for future hvac servicing and maintenance.Charles B.
Contact Us Today
help you! Contact Jacob for All
your Comfort needs
At Jacob Heating & Air Conditioning, our passion for customer service and the quality of our work is deeply ingrained in our company culture. We're not just committed to helping our customers; we put our reputation on the line with every job we undertake.
Our team takes pride in our work and backs it with excellent service guarantees for our customers in West Volusia County and the surrounding areas. These guarantees include:
- One-year guarantee on HVAC repairs
- Prompt service for every visit
- Cleanliness on the job
- Complete customer satisfaction